Friday, November 17, 2006

Bo


i've never been one for "heroes" that i don't know. my heroes have always been family, friends, the people who i know, the people who i have seen firsthand reaching out to others, doing things to make the world better, etc. so i can't call Bo a hero. but I will call him an icon, an image of many of the things that i love about michigan football, and a symbol that invokes many special memories and thoughts.

and i'm really feeling a bit sad about this now as it hits. i will always have the memories of bo beating Woody Hayes (yes, I followed Michigan that long ago), winning big 10 championships, firing Bill Frieder, and repeatedly kicking off to rocket ishmael BECAUSE DAMMIT HE CANT RETURN IT THREE TIMES IN A ROW, CAN HE? those memories won't go away, will never go away. but i will miss him the next time I drive up to A2 for a game, and won't be able to tune in and hear the crusty old bastard on the radio hollering about Notre Dame, or OSU, or some other something that he needed to rail against. The man bled maize and blue, and was a michigan man until the end.

I'm gonna miss Bo. Go kick Woody's ass up in the big Big House in the sky, my man.

No comments: