Sunday, December 23, 2007

Cheap, Cheap, Cheap!


OK, today we start a new recurring blog theme called "cheap cheap cheap!" As many of you are aware, I am one cheap bastard. I'll go out of my way to save $5 (as long as I dont have to spend $5 in gas to do it!). Perhaps the only person I know that's cheaper than me is my buddy Mark -- and it's close.

So whenever I score some particularly cheap savings, I'll crow about it here. Today's feat of cheapness, courtesy of Walgreen's, was a doozy.

Last Wednesday, I notice (courtesy of slickdeals.net) that the Walgreen's website has a "$5 off $20 in in-store purchases today-only" coupon. So I print it out, go to the local Walgreen's and load up on some on-sale knock-off meds (you think I'm gonna buy the brand-name stuff??).

When I get to the checkout counter, the clerk says "sorry, we dont take internet coupons."

Say what? It's from the Walgreen's website and can only be used in-store.

Naturally, I tell the kid to call the shift manager. The shift manager agrees, they don't take internet coupons.

OK, so I walk out (leaving everything behind -- I'm not buying things after that!) and go home. The wife comes home to find me drinking a 7&7 and typing out an email to Walgreen's corporate office. You can imagine the content: "false advertising", "bad customer service", "i'll continue shopping at CVS after this", all the usual.

Yesterday morning, I get an email from the head store manager apologizing, saying the clerk and shift-manager i dealt with were wrong, and that they *do* accept the coupons, and here's a $20 gift card for your trouble. OK, that works for me.

Then today, again courtesy slickdeals, I see that Walgreen's is offering an even-better "$10 off $30 today-only coupon". So off I go to Walgreen's to stock up on on-sale store-brand meds and vitamins. And here's the haul:


Equivalent price of name-brand meds :~$75

Pre-sale price of store-brand meds: $52

On-sale price: $43

After $10 coupon: $33

Final price, after $20 giftcard: $13



Oh yeah, that's sweet. And to think they could have had me at $5 off!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

good job! can't wait to see my christmas present....
bill

Anonymous said...

This morning's LA Times has an article about someone seeing a DVD player online at Best Buy on sale. went to the store to buy it - it was not on sale. he asked the clerk, who showed him the Best Buy website in the store - it was not on sale. He went home & looked again, it was & he bought it on sale and then went to the store to pick it up. Apparently Best Buy has a website in the store with higher prices which they show people. The state of CT sued Best Buy for this in May, but it happened here in CA last week. Beware. m

Anonymous said...

don't get me a dvd player chris, I have one...

Kitty Cat said...

holy cheapsters, Batman!
yes, i will agree, it is in our DNA.

coupon clippers, unite.

ps your present came from the thrift shop
OH YEAH!

Anonymous said...

"Perhaps the only person I know that's cheaper than me is my buddy Mark"

>>> dude it's not "cheap", it's "frugal whenever possible about less important things so that one can be non-frugal about more important things"!!

eh ok, it's cheap, heh. walt could give us a run for our money though i bet!

Lisa Chiu said...

Well, I'm a Taiwanese mom, so it goes without saying that I'm cheap. Remember the $9.99 eBay Halloween costume I made Nico wear for three years in a row?

Chris said...

Lisa, you better be saving that costume for Nolan.

Lisa Chiu said...

Yep. But until Nolan is old enough to wear it, you've got dibs. I fully expect Thalia to get at least FOUR years out of the puppy costume.