Saturday, September 25, 2010

Doll Surgery

So Abra has been asking to get her American Girl doll's ears pierced. Now, you can pay to ship the doll to the American Girl store, and pay another $25 to have them pierce the doll's ears for you.... or you can get out your power drill. Hmmm, pay money or use power tool? Not a difficult choice. So Abra carefully marked Nataly's ears...


... and then Dad pulled out the power drill!

The fun part of this is that you don't just drill through the ear, you drill right down into the skull. Driller Killer!

But everything worked out just fine, and Nataly is borrowing Ivy's earrings until she can get a pair of her own.


(Does anyone but me remember the Velvet Underground's song "The Gift"? Yeah, I kept thinking about poor Waldo Jeffers as I did this...)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Piercing ears with a power drill. How did these people ever get out of the 20th century?

Karen Long Peterson said...

Does my memory serve me correctly in thinking at one point in time your ear was pierced? If yes, did you, too, use the power drill method of ear piercing?!

Anonymous said...

Hey Professor Dexter!

Kitty Cat said...

remember when Dad pierced the whole neighborhood's ears, with a Monoject needle and an icecube?
yes, he did.

Brenna said...

HA, Cat, your dad did that? I'm totally not surprised. Hilarious.

I got my ears pierced for my 10th birthday (missed being the first girl in my class to do it by ONE WEEK), and my Mom did the conscientious thing and took me to the Dr.'s office to do it. Except that they botched it, badly. In fact I still have a tiny scar on the tip of my right earlobe. So Mom wound up having to re-do it herself and she used a big ol' sewing needle. If she'd been much of a drinker I think she'd have taken about four shots of tequila after that.

Chris said...

Yes, KLP, at one point in the murky past I did have a pierced ear. A powerdrill was not used in the process, however....