Driving home from a dinner at Stacy and Anne's the other evening, I had to slow the car as I neared our house because there was a cat lying (quite happily) in the middle of the road. The ensuing conversation in our car went something like this:
Me: What are you doing in the road, cat?
Abra: What cat?
Me: That cat.
Abra: Is that Mary's cat? It is -- that's Tiger!
Me: Well, Tiger better move.
Abra: He's going to get hit if he stays there.
Me: He'll move.
Tiger:(lazily gets up and saunters out of the road)
We pass.
Abra: We better tell Mary!
Me: I'm sure Mary knows.
Abra (getting more worried): But he might get hit! We have to tell Mary!
Me: Mary knows.
Abra (as we near Mary's house) Dad, stop the car, we have to tell Mary!!
Me: (keeps driving)
Abra (as we pass Mary's house, yelling out the window): MARY, YOUR CAT'S GONNA DIE!!!!
Which is all well and good, and I appreciate Abra's concern for the cat, but from Mary's perspective (if in fact she was on her porch, which I'm not sure she was....) the exchange was much briefer and went something like this:
Car drives by with small child yelling out the window "MARY, YOUR CAT'S GONNA DIE!!!!!"
Now, we get along well with Mary, so I think all is good, but I do wonder if she heard it, and if she wonders why we have a vendetta against her cats. Honest, we like her cats!
2 comments:
Sheesh, go tell Mary and take Abra with you. My $0.02. Good neighbors are worth he time. ~ Aunt P
Abra is her mother's and grandmother's daughter, such an animal lover. Yes, I agree with Aunt P. Stop the car, stop the trauma (impending trauma). Go Abra!
Post a Comment