And then, you see this:

The daffodils and crocuses are coming up. The ability for nature to come back after a long winter always amazes me. I love the changing of the seasons.
My friends in the south scoff at the northern climate. They send me stories of short sleeves in January, of baseball in February, and they laugh at the concept of snowblowers, ice dams, and road salt. And yes, sometimes snow can be a hassle. But I wouldn't trade the changing seasons for an unending summer.
Cleveland summers are warm but not hot, sunny but not scorching. It's not the humid swamp of the southeast, or the dry baking heat of the southwest. We have thunderstorms which are dramatic but not dangerous. The windows are open, the breezes fresh, and the grass green (mostly...).
Come fall, the trees explode in color, the weather turns crisp, and the leaves crunch underfoot (and of course, football starts!).
And then the snow starts. I like the snow -- it's still magic as far as I'm concerned. Sitting inside by the fire watching snowflakes fall, and then waking up in the morning to a quiet, muffled world suddenly covered in white... It's a wonderful thing.
Finally spring comes and color returns. The sun comes out, flowers bloom, trees bud and grow leaves, and friends and neighbors step out of their houses.
Sure, each season also has its pains. Clearing snow, raking leaves, cleaning gutters -- all of that takes time. But it's a fair trade in my mind. And the great thing about the seasons is that when you are finally tired of one, it's time to change to the next.
Now, we're not really done with the snow, I understand that. Old Man Winter always has a few tricks up his sleeve, and I'm sure we're in for at least one more blast before spring rolls in for good. But spring is coming, and it's a beautiful sight to see.
4 comments:
You've become a poet. I couldn't agree with you more, I don't want to live where you don't have the seasons.
Fall without the changing of the colors, spring without the budding & new growth, this would be a dull world.
Nice one, Chris. Thanks! ~p
seriously, DF, you have quite a way with words...
xoxo i DO live where there is not much change, and that is why i travel home so often...
Hey wait a minute! I wrote that. Or I meant to anyway. Nice job Chris!
Post a Comment