Monday, May 25, 2009

The Facts of Life

So I'm walking back from the library yesterday with the girls, and out of the blue Abra asks me "Dad, how do animals mate?"

(Uhh, isn't Brenna supposed to handle this question? Well, I'll give it the old college try.)

So I explained that animals try to find a suitable partner, and then they get together and nest and have babies.

Abra: Yes, but how do they mate?

Hmm, no avoiding that question really. Straight-up question deserves a straight-up answer. Luckily Thalia is half a block ahead looking at flowers.

So I explain the biological activity: "Well, the boy animal puts his [censored] into the girl animal's [censored] and that's how they make a baby." (I didn't really say "censored", it's just that I still can't quite type those words knowing that my Mom reads this blog...)

Abra: Eww.

Long pause.

Abra: Do you do that to Mom, too?

Long pause.

Me: Uh, well, yeah, sometimes.

Long pause.

Me: Hey, let's go catch up with Thalia.

4 comments:

Kitty Cat said...

oh man! you did good, brother. clear and direct. wondering how Brenna dodged that bullet? Our Mom would be proud.

Riimus Fungus said...

From the way she asked the question ("mating"), she sounds like maybe she suspected an answer like the one you gave already?

Brenna said...

Well, it's generally understood that Dad usually answers the science questions, and that's pretty well phrased like a science question.

Except for the follow-up question. Heh.

Harry said...

Oh man, I hate it when they drive right for the details that way.