Saturday, December 27, 2008

An Open Apology to My Neighbors

Hello, neighbors. Hope you all had a good holiday. You may have noticed a bunch of white stuff floating around the neighborhood lately. No, not the snow. This stuff:



See it there on the ground? Here it is a bit closer:



Yeah, that stuff. It's all over my lawn, and blowing downwind into yours as well. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what it was, until I noticed that one of the cushions on our porch furniture had been chewed open by some critter, and the stuffing had been pulled out. So I tossed the cushion, cleaned up the fluff on the lawn, and called it a day. That was a week or so again.

But the fluff keeps coming back. And I keep cleaning it up. And then it comes back again. And every time it comes back, it blows on down the street into your yard. Where the heck is it coming from?

Then yesterday I looked up and realized who had chewed through the cushion and where all the fluff was coming from. It's all up there:



See that white, fluffy-lined squirrel's nest? About 60 feet up in the tree? Yep, that's where it's coming from. I'm not about to climb 60 feet up a tree and do battle with a squirrel in the dead of winter over his warm nest lining. He can keep it. And I will try my best to pick it up as it continually blows back down. But in the meantime, my apologies for the inconvenience.

Then again, if it snows a lot, you may not even notice.

5 comments:

Lisa Chiu said...

Wow, you're going to have to deal with that all winter?

Anonymous said...

Time for Whacko and the cats to lay down the law. Stealing cushion filling is a feral offense. Guess the little ones have to be warm, too. Seems like something out of Jim Henson's Muppets. ~p

Brenna said...

Squirrels are evil. But they are smart, resourceful little suckers (and, I admit, kinda cute).

I have a hard time begrudging them their posh, fluffy, insulated penthouse when they clearly used such effort and smarts to make it. Just like, even though I find it a little annoying when they literally hang upside down to extract bird seed from the feeder, I can't exactly get too bent about it.

The fluff on the lawn is very annoying, though.

Pat D. said...

Chris...thanks for the `fluff' piece! :)
Happy New Year, eh!

Kitty Cat said...

i love this story, those squirrels are crafty!