And I would always fill them out, send them in, and get reimbursed. No problem.
I was amazed, however, at the response I got after filling in my reimbursement forms for a recent trip to another university. I got an email from their administrator which said:
Thanks for the great job filling out the report. You are my first speaker ... to complete it with no mistakes.
Really? REALLY? Come on, people, how hard is this? All these smart academic folks running around and none of you can properly fill out a travel reimbursement form? Yeesh.
The whole episode reminded me of this Far Side cartoon:
7 comments:
Hey, you're doing the other dept a favor to take time to go on that trip. They should do the favor to you and fill out the form to you. Don't let this get to you, but in the biomed fields, the normal weekly colloq. speakers get honorariums of several hundred dollars. Or in industry where you have an expense account and you don't even worry about such things.
reminds me of your father writing weekly reports when he was working. Dan once said he didn't hear from him for ages, then he'd get 14 at once.
and I'm betting they were all filled out correctly!
(Happy Birthday Chris)
i don't know, Bill, you might lose that bet!
Yianni hated the paperwork. Mimi, great story, we want more.
Happy birthday yesterday, DF, was I the LAST to wish it to you? (dime store!?)
You're welcome...
Really? The more usual situation I have encountered is that I have to explain to the other institution's administrator how their form works.
Stacy, I can TOTALLY see you doing this.
My solution is to have a research program that doesn't involve anything that people find remotely interesting. That way they don't ask me to come to their school and I don't have to fill out these random forms...
The only flaw in this plan is my having to serve on review panels. Those are federal forms and make exactly as much sense as you might imagine. I usually get them right however.
Post a Comment