Like all children raised in the electronic era, the girls like to watch TV and play on the computer. If left to their own devices, they would plug themselves in from breakfast to bedtime. Not that I ever did that. ("Here's the story... of a man named Brady...", "Juuust sit right back and you'll hear a tale...", "Here we come.... walkin' down the street..." Naah, I never watched TV as a kid.) And when we tell them to shut off the TV or log out, then we get a lot of "can we watch TV now?" or "can we play on the computer now?" And I'm getting a bit tired of saying "NO!".
So we're trying a third party regulator: a digital "screen time" timer. In the morning, I set it to the total daily allotment of TV/computer time. (I'm not telling the world what it is. It's embarrassingly long. But good for my sanity.) Then, while they are on TV/computer, it ticks down. They can pause it while not watching, but if they start again, the timer goes back on. And when it hits zero, that's it for the day.I explained the rules this morning, and hit start on the timer, and they were off like Usain Bolt to run up to the TV so that they didn't miss precious seconds of TV time while the timer was going.
So here's where the diabolical plot kicks in: if they are watching SPORTS with me or mom, that is "off-timer" -- they get that for free. My hope is that this will provide incentive for them to watch sports and continue molding them into die-hard sports fans.
I am even considering instituting a rule that says if they are watching Michigan football, the timer runs backwards.
We'll see if this works. It should be good for some comedy if nothing else.
Diabolical plan update:
Two comments from Abra while watching football today:
- "Why does he have to turn to watch the ball?" (which led to a discussion of cornerback play)
- "So Notre Dame is bad?" (which needed no discussion)
11 comments:
Remember the jar, slips of paper with jobs - Sat. a.m. you all had to draw a few out. I had gotten tired of "why do I always have to do the stairway?" Nobody argues with a piece of paper. is it tradition, or just plain old parental survival skills? m
I am even considering instituting a rule that says if they are watching Michigan football, the timer runs backwards.
Considering the state of the team this year, that's actually a tough decision.
DO they get extra minutes for doing chores without being asked, and without fussing?
A&T'sAnteLawyerP
By the way, you get lotsa points for surviving.
I think we may need to steal this idea.
you forgot the Jeannie theme, Major Nelson!
ps what you got against the Fightin' Irish?
What happens if they want to watch Ohio State (not including the game against The Team Up North) football?
"What happens if they want to watch Ohio State?"
My children are far to smart to do that.
I'm guessing you'd like the clock to run backwards. Like back to a time when Michigan was relevant to college football...
Seriously, good plan. How do will you handle it if they're 24 min in a 30 min show and the timer runs out? You got a DVR?
"How do will you handle it if they're 24 min in a 30 min show and the timer runs out?"
No DVR; when the timer goes off, the TV goes off, regardless of where they are in the program. If it's a DVD, they can resume it the next day. If it's TV, oh well...
We are MEEEEEEEAANNNNNNNN parents!
Try this out on Daddy during a Redskins game when he's old, Abra.
Love, Aunt P
Post a Comment