Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Paging Dr. Braunschweiger

Wacko is getting up there in years, and sometimes appears to be getting kind of slow moving the old hip joints. So I figure maybe arthritis is starting to show.

We got him a bottle of glucosamine/chondritin tablets -- meat flavored, no less -- which is supposed to be a big help with doggie arthritis. When I tried to give it to him I rolled it up in a piece of salami. He started to eat the gluchon-laced salami, bit down -- crrrrunch! -- and gave me a look of what I can only describe as pure disappointment and resignation. "Oh, human," he seemed to be saying, "did you really just try and slip me something in the middle of this tasty salami? And to think I trusted you." Then -- spitAW! -- out came the tablet and he walked off.


So we needed a new strategy -- what does this dog love more than life itself? What does he love so much that he wouldn't even blink an eye about wolfing it down with a little health supplement hidden inside? Yes, that's right -- braunschweiger! (aka "liverwurst"). Mmmmmm, braunschweiger...

Brenna went out and bought a big package of braunschweiger and now each day I secretly hide the gluchon pill inside and he inhales it without a second thought -- this has earned him the title "Dr. Braunschweiger". So now every time it's time for his pill, I yell "Paging Dr. Braunschweiger" and he comes running in, along with "Nurse Hopeful", his little grey-and-white assistant.

Another little vignette from our lives....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heart Dr. B. -p

Kitty Cat said...

Nurse Hopeful?
is that YOU?
no wait i forgot, you are Nurse RATCHET.

meanwhile back at the treehouse, we have renamed Mister Kitty as the JOKER as he is Batman's ARCH RIVAL. my poor nerve-wracked kitty is ten times the paranoid schitzy he used to be. And in the eye of the hurricane, yes, that is The Joker, calmly poltting Batman's next freak out. he waits til he is asleep then WHAMMO-it's all over: the quarterback is toast.