Monday, January 21, 2008

Ann B. Davis Day


So I woke up this morning and, with all due respect to Dr. King, declared today to be Ann B. Davis Day, and that we were going to celebrate as a family by cleaning this house.

As you might imagine, the girls immediately disappeared with a neighborhood kid, Brenna is online playing Webkinz, the dog is lying on the floor shedding tumbleweeds of fur, Pearl ran into the kitchen and barfed, Tango and Healy are fighting and letting the fur fly, and Nelson is looking at me like I'm off my rocker.

This is why, for those of you who are familiar with the ranking scheme in the house, I come in at #9 (of 9, of course). Honestly, though, I prefer to think of it as me cracking the Top 10.

Ah well, it's an excuse to play the Beastie Boys at top volume while I vacuum...


Now of course there's a critical difference between me and the beloved Alice from the Brady Bunch: Alice, I'm sure, happily picked up the kids' stuff and put them away. I also put their things away, but "away" for me may well mean "in the trash." My philosophy is: if something has been lying on the floor for a few weeks, it must not be getting any use, and so out it goes! In that sense, I am more like the Grinch, stuffing all the toys up the chimbley.

I have noticed that my tendency to throw things away means that when I clean, people keep a sharp eye on me. Particularly on days like to today, where my cleaning urges fall on trash day. There's gonna be a big load for the trash man tomorrow!

Happy Ann B. Davis Day everyone!

5 comments:

Brenna said...

OK, just for everyone's information, I did clean the kitchen including scrubbing the floor, and I'm making dinner too. I didn't JUST sit in front of the computer playing arcade games all day....

Anonymous said...

You can raise them, but you know, they'll pick out your nursing home. -p

Chantele said...

I knew Brenna would end up addicted to the Webkin! can't wait til they get the tournament arena fixed so I can kick her butt in Battleship and Trading Card Challenge!

Anonymous said...

Well, did you know that the guy who played Sam the Butcher died last week? So I'm sure Alice needs some cheering up!

Unknown said...

I think Satchel said it best: Vacuums... are from hell.