Saturday, August 18, 2007

Beloit Snappers Game Report


So last night Brenna and I took Thalia to see the Beloit Snappers take on the Burlington Bees (Abra was on a sleepover). Yes, minor league baseball at its finest. The Snappers won 6-1. Random thoughts:

- The Snappers' first two runs scored on an overthrown ball at first base. Very appropriate for A-ball baseball, I thought!

- Thalia very much was intrigued by Snappy the Turtle.

- I saw a number of 8-10 year old boys in the stands with Mohawks. Must be something in the water on the Wisconsin/Illinois border...

- They had pictures up of ex-Snappers who made it to the majors, including one of Prince Fielder. As the guy in line behind me at the beer stand said, Fielder's butt was a lot smaller when he was in the minors. If he's been injecting steroids, I guess we know where he injected them...

- "The Bees versus the Snappers" sounds very much like a 4th grade soccer match-up. I thought maybe the players were all going to eat orange slices together during the seventh inning stretch.

- Most amusing sight of the night: on the way out, the free giveaway was loaves of white bread. People were grabbing bunches of bread loaves and running out of the stadium. It looked like a UN relief operation.

- Cheap, cheap, cheap night. Minor league ball is tons of fun!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, minor league baseball, where you can sit close and see and hear... one of summer's joys. p

Brenna said...

Also in the same league: The Lansing Lugnuts!

I heart minor league baseball....

Yippee Skippy said...

I have to agree about the joys of minor league baseball. I'm somewhat disappointed that the local AA team is unimaginatively dubbed the Reading Phillies (guess what major league team they're affiliated with?) However, they seem to have about 7 different mascots.

Coming next summer: The Allentown IronPigs!