Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A New Season Begins


As I wait for Michigan football to start this weekend, I am reminded about the string of luck my sports teams have had of late:

  • Fall 2009: Michigan football starts 4-0, ends 0-7.

  • March 2010: Michigan basketball struggles through the season but is poised to knock top ranked OSU out of the Big 10 tournament. Leading by two with 2.2 seconds left, Michigan opts not to defend the desperation half court heave by OSU, which of course goes in as the buzzer sounds.

  • April 2010: After skating to the best record in hockey, the Washington Capitals claim a 3-1 playoff lead over the Montreal Canadiens, only to lose three straight and be eliminated in the first round of the playoffs.

  • May 2010: After claiming the best record in the NBA and delivering the Celtics their worst home loss in playoff history, the Cleveland Cavaliers go into the tank, get eliminated from the playoffs, and lose LeBron James to the Miami Heat.


  • August 2010: The Washington Nationals shelve their franchise pitcher with Tommy John surgery, ending him for both this season and next.



What fresh hell will Michigan send me to this season, I wonder....

4 comments:

Brenna said...

I know you had a lot of fun finding those pictures, though.

Becky said...

And you didn't even MENTION Michigan hockey. Oh my god. I can't even bear to type it all out.

Chris said...

nah, Becky, while UM hockey had a bad regular season, they had a nice run through the CCHA tourney and lost a tough game against a good opponent in double OT in the NCAAs. That's not a collapse.

Becky said...

But there was an early whistle! Just like against Minnesota in the Frozen Four in 2003!

Maybe it's not a collapse, but it is heartbreaking.