Sunday, September 06, 2009

School Starts!

Last week the girls both started school. Yay!

On Tuesday, Abra started second grade. The first day of school starts with a little ceremony for kids and families, so we all went. Here's Abra hanging out with her friends beforehand:


And then the school principal, Mr. Brown welcomed everyone to school. Here's Mr. Brown and his bullhorn:

(While some parents are not wild about Mr. Brown's authoritarian style, I have no problem with it, and particularly dig the bullhorn. I'm thinking I might get one for myself to use around the house.)

Anyway, the next day Thalia started kindergarten. Her teacher is Mrs. Murphy, who was also Abra's kindergarten teacher. Since Brenna often helped out at school with Abra's kindergarten events, and typically had Thalia in tow, Thalia and Mrs. Murphy had gotten to know each other pretty well, and so having her as a teacher I think really helped Thalia's transition to kindergarten. Here's Thalia getting her nametag from Mrs. Murphy:



And here's Thalia in class:


Then on Friday, after two years of waving goodbye to Lily and Abra at the bus stop, it was finally Thalia's first chance to ride the bus herself. She had no hesitation whatsoever, and just marched on board:


So there you go. Both kids are in school. And there was much rejoicing!

6 comments:

Brenna said...

To be fair to Mr. Brown, I wouldn't exactly call him "authoritarian." He's a nice enough guy. He just makes clear that he expects the rules to be followed. And, you know, there is the bullhorn thing...

Bill said...

I remember when John and Michael were there...Enjoy it!

on the deck said...

It's a fun age. Congratulations!YAY! and kudos to Mr. Brown and Mrs. Murphy for all they do to help kids learn.

I want to see Dad going for his first day this semester.

wclaspy said...

We were out on driving lessons with A this weekend, which will happen approximately TOMORROW for you, my friend. Enjoy it while it lasts. Oh, and that young man standing behind Jackie B is Mr. Adamson, the instrumental music teacher, whose friendship you should acquire!

Lisa Chiu said...

Hey, see if you can buy the bullhorns in bulk (do they have them at Cosco?) - I could definitely use one and know other parents who could too.

Harry said...

About the bullhorn - my daughter got me one for Christmas when she was 15, because I always had to yell so loudly up the stairs to wake her up in the morning. She soon regretted her choice of presents, but I loved it. It even had a siren!