Saturday, February 21, 2009

Charlotte's Web



So this seems to be a part of growing up for young readers: dealing with the end of Charlotte's Web. I certainly remember it from when I was a kid, and now it appears to be Abra's turn. I just got the following note from Brenna (I'm away at the observatory right now....):


So I went up to check on Thalia, at about a quarter to ten. Abra was the one still awake. She's a chapter or two into Charlotte's Web, and of course she knows what ultimately happens to Charlotte since she saw the movie. But when I went up, she was bravely trying to stifle tears--she explained to me that she was just reading over the last page, which really is very sweet and sad. Talking about how as much as Wilbur loved all the other generations of spiders, none of them ever took Charlotte's place in his heart. And she just couldn't squelch anymore, and just started crying, poor thing. So she had a good cry and then was ready to get to sleep, I think.


The girl has a huge heart...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your brother had exactly the same experience,(about 8 then) was reading it himself in bed and when I went in to say goodnight, he turned to the wall and mumbled goodnight.(This was shortly after the book came out.) Your sister was then at the U. of MD & came home for the weekend; everybody insisted she read it immediately. She was in bed reading it & looked up & saw a spider on the ceiling. She got up & carried it outside and let it go.

Brenna said...

I remember my first contact with the story (I've told Chris this). I was in second grade and our teacher, Mrs. Nabb, read it to the class, a chapter a day. I remember after she finished the chapter where Charlotte dies, she closed the book and said, "So, there goes our old friend Charlotte." And that was exactly how I felt, like a friend had died. I probably wasn't the only one trying not to let anyone see me cry, but I didn't look around at anyone else, heh.

I'm not a big tear-shedder at books/movies (though that's becoming a little less true as I get older), but I've read and seen that one several times as both a kid and an adult. I still can't make it through that one without crying.

Brenna said...

(Also, I'm sure the spider at your house is not the only one to have been saved from a squishing thanks to that book!)

Anonymous said...

I still try to take little spiders outside and let them go.
Abra, you let the author touch your heart. There aren't any greater accolades. Atta girl!
Aunt P

Kitty Cat said...

reading is the greatest gift that any of us were given by our librarian Mom. it is the cheapest vacation on the planet. thanks again, MIMI!

Anonymous said...

Well said, lil sister - soooo true! I can stand any waiting in line, for a dr., for a friend, etc., with a good book. Reading is a lifelong gift, and our MOm gave that to us, both for reading aloud and for silent reading, both for info and for fun.
Thank you, Mom.
~p

Brenna said...

Actually, Pauli, I usually just try to close my eyes, take a deep breath, and pretend the little spiders aren't there, heh. I'm not so terrified of spiders that I can't be in a room if one is there (assuming it's staying in its corner, minding its own business), but I admit I'm kind of afraid of them and don't want to get near enough to them to smash them or let them out.