Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Misery Index

I have made a football misery index. Well, in principle it could be a happiness index, but right now it's not. It's definitely a misery index. So as most of you people reading this blog know, my happiness in the fall hinges largely on the success of the Washington Redskins and Michigan Wolverines. If my teams do well, I'm happy; if not, I'm crabby. Yes, this probably makes me a shallow and limited individual, but it is what it is.

This year has been rough for Michigan. Abysmally bad. No-bowl bad. Most-losses-ever bad. They've lost 5 in a row to Ohio State, and they've lost the last four games I've gone to. So naturally I've been cranky.

So I sat down to devise a way to measure my misery. Being a scientist and a numbers geek, this is what passes as an interesting diversion to me.

I started by simply averaging the winning percentages of the two teams. That's about as basic as you can get. But that doesn't quite capture things -- most importantly it doesn't quite capture expectation -- if a team has been consistently good, then a fall to 0.500 is bad; conversely, if a team has repeatedly stunk, winning half your games suddenly looks like a success.

So I revised it as follows: for each year, I calculate a running 10 year average and standard deviation of each team's record. Then I calculate the team's normalized deviation from the average, ie:

normdev = (win pct - average win pct)/stddev

For example, +1 is a one sigma good year, while -2 is a two sigma bad year (yes, yes, calculating a stddev from 10 data points which are almost certainly not distributed normally is a statistical no-no. Sue me. This isn't one of my scientific papers, this is a self-pity party.).

And then I average the two team's normalized deviation to get my net misery index.

So here it is, tabulated from 1987 (the year I got to Michigan) to today (click the image for a bigger view):


(if you think this is bad, you should see the other stupid charts that sit on my laptop...)

So what do we see?

1) THIS YEAR HAS BEEN MISERABLE! Yes, the misery index is at its lowest value in 21 years. I'm cranky. Michigan is off the charts (literally) bad, having a 6 sigma bad season.

2) The only time that things were close to this bad was in the early 90s, when the Redskins were suffering through back-to-back 3 and 4 win seasons. Ugh. That was awful, and got us the Heath Shuler era in Washington. The football gods truly hated the Redskins at that point.

3) I got out of that early 90s misery not by the Redskins becoming good again, but by them being consistently mediocre. "Consistently" being the key word here. After a while, you get used to being mediocre and the misery index isn't so bad. I would like that not to be Michigan's solution to the present misery issue.

4) There are good times there, too. In 1991, the Redskins won the Super Bowl and Michigan went to the Rose Bowl (and lost, of course. It was the next year that they won it). In 1997, Michigan had their undefeated season and won a share of the national championship.

5) Interestingly enough, the past few seasons Michigan and the Redskins have been see-sawing, keeping the misery index kind of flat. In 2005, Michigan had the (now superceded) "Year of Infinite Pain", but the Redskins returned to the playoffs for the first time in a while. The next year the Redskins collapsed again, while Michigan had a good season (with a lousy ending, but hey, it's Michigan). The year after that (i.e., last year), Michigan went through the Horror, and stumbled its way through through another down year, but the Redskins returned (briefly) to the playoffs.

6) Now, however, even though the Redskins are competing for a playoff spot, nothing can overcome Michigan's abysmal year. Sigh.

I hate football.

14 comments:

Biff said...

I think that I would add in a "championship wave" factor to the formula - of course, this can be a positive or negative depending on if you're a cup half-full or half-empty guy (and I know which side you're on, sunshine.)

For me, after the Steelers won the Superbowl, the fact that Roethlisburger got into a cycle wreck and them missing the play-offs was tempered by the sentiment "at least they won it all last year." Of course for others, I think it might heighten expectations, leading to a much harder fall - "How could they be this bad - they won the SB last year for Chrissakes!".

Anyway, it's hockey season so I'm really distracted now anyway.

Brenna said...

So what would be the mathematical formula for Brett Favre winning the Super Bowl with the Jets, Dr. Science Guy?

Anonymous said...

In a related note, the Hillbilly Index (first year record of stolen WestVa coaches: RichRod in football and Beilein in basketball) debuted a miserable 13-31; ouch!

For perspective, from 1985-2006; U-M football lost a total of 21 home games or basically one per year. Last 2 years: 8 home losses; to me that is the most depressing stat.

On the bright side though - UM will be back, and we've been very lucky to have been spoiled for decades.

Chris said...

Biff says: I would add in a "championship wave" factor to the formula

yeah, i have thought about that -- the data is in my spreadsheet -- but not sure how to weight that properly. Any suggestions for how to refine the calculation of misery index are welcome...

Brenna says:So what would be the mathematical formula for Brett Favre winning the Super Bowl with the Jets, Dr. Science Guy?

I actually would enjoy seeing that, which makes the likelihood of it happening vanishingly small.

Mark says:Last 2 years: 8 home losses; to me that is the most depressing stat.

I was thinking of somehow factoring that in as well: record when I have been in attendance. Going to the 1983 Super Bowl and the 1997 Ohio State game made those seasons even better. And being 0-4 in my last four trips to Ann Arbor has made the past two seasons even worse.

I can see that "tinkering with the misery index" is going to be a long term hobby...

Lisa Chiu said...

Go Bucks! (You deserve that after comparing me to Mary Matalin)

Yippee Skippy said...

Gawd, who let the buckeye in?
My dad is a lifelong lions fan. Seriously, they exist. I have proof. (I am proof.) Talk about off the charts...

Anonymous said...

If this were adapted for us Cubs fans, it would be flatlined along the bottom,with only a small blip in 98 when Kerry threw 20 Ks, and another upwards blip in 2003, followed immediately by the need to add another sheet of paper beneath the original one.

But hey, I can at least share your pain about the Redskins. I'm trying to forget the Spurrier era so I can get enthusiastic again

Kitty Cat said...

is football the one with field goals?

Bill said...

I'm miserable today...

Anonymous said...

OMG, you have WAY too much time on your hands... what did you do with the wife, two kids, two cats and a dog?

Anonymous said...

Chris, I think what you propose is more of a shock index or a denial-of-sports-entitlement index. For a true long-term misery index, I prefer a simpler approach. Just count the number of consecutive non-championship seasons for one's pro sports teams. My misery index is 115 and counting. If LeBron leaves the Cavaliers before bringing home a title, then I have full confidence that my index will be bounded only by the number of seasons before the Indians, Cavs, and Browns each move to other cities.

I might also suggest a misery-resentment index. The only difference in this index is that I would assign an index value of 0 to anyone who was alive the last time one of their teams won a championship.

Brenna said...

Anyone who's a Cubs fun automatically gets a first-round bye under Vic's proposed index.

Anonymous said...

Chris, that's just what I was thinking the other day.
love you, p

Anonymous said...

That's actually pretty interesting. Can it be done for pro-football teams (such as the Detroit Lions or the Houston Texans)?