Yesterday we took the girls to their very first football game ever, Case at Oberlin. (Yes, both schools have a football team; they're in DIII.) Free admission, 50-yard lines seats, all that fun stuff.
The girls managed to sit through a half before being bored silly, so that's probably all one can ask for their first game. The indoctrination process will be slow but steady.
(Case won, by the way...)
Now, I hope they will grow up to be more like their mother than like me when it comes to football. She loves football, enjoys the games, rides the highs and the lows, but then seems to have this ability to (figuratively) walk away from the stress of it all.
I, on the other hand, will probably die of ulcers from watching the game. I love it, but I am edgy and stressed watching games, and it kills me a little bit each time when Michigan inevitably implodes a few times each season.
Which makes yesterday a classic example of my love/hate relationship with the game. While it was tons of fun taking the girls to a game and explaining what a punt is, a few hours north of us this was happening:

(Thanks to the boys at MZone for this perfect visual description of the Michigan game...)
sigh.
I love football.
I hate football.
I'm going to go throw up now.
2 comments:
Yes, I can enjoy football and walk away. Like, for example, I've really forgotten ALL ABOUT fourth and twenty-six. I'm totally over it completely. I mean, after all, it happened, what, five years ago? Really, doesn't bother me at all....
I have to say, I picked an excellent year to move out of the house that was 200 feet from the stadium.
Maybe the Steelers will be good this year . . .
Post a Comment